Thursday, July 13, 2023

Day 9 Amboise to Blois 47kms

 I farewelled Amboise and followed the route up past the Chateau to a lookout above.



The route followed a lot of farmland with wheat, corn, sunflowers and vineyards.  Cute villages with rural views.









The architecture changed a little with narrow red brick features around doorways and windows.


I followed the signs to Chaumont Sur Loire which led me up a very steep long windy Hill to the Chateau.  I was only able to ride about half and then hike-a-bike time.  Another exquisite Chateau with pink and white floral theme in the gardens.  







The inside was housing a big art show and so a number of rooms that aren't usually opened were available for art viewing.  







The Chateau has royal history dating back to the 15th Century.. they knew how to make durable buildings back then!  



The parquetry floors squeaked and I'm sure they have lots of stories to tell.








Then on to look at a section of the gardens which have an environmental and sustainable theme.  20 different types of gardens to wander through.  I only saw about half of what this Chateau had to offer but after a couple of hours was ready to finish my ride to Blois.  


I passed another abandoned Chateau and found a rooster and his hens pecking beside the road.  


I arrived into Blois right on peak hour which isn't my favourite time to tackle steep winding inner city roads looking for accommodation, but I found it.  I'm staying at a Warm Showers host who will be letting me camp in her terraced gardens.  The location is amazing, only a stone's throw from the Chateaux, and I'm waiting in the gardens for her to arrive.  Can't imagine where a tent would fit so will see what happens next.


2 comments:

  1. Great pics today Tiff, Mt fave was the poppies

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...