Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Day 8 Amboise

 Well, as expected, today was a new day.  I was able to extend my camping by a day - yay!  

It's hard to believe I've been in France over a week now.  This time last week I was finishing my first day of riding in Nantes.

I set of walking my bike into town to the bike shop with Cheateau views to greet me.  The town was buzzing already and there are cyclists of all ages and types everywhere.  I found the bike shop and he was busy with rentals going out.  He had one tube left and I asked if he would put it on for me as I was having issues.  He looked quite condescendingly at a touring cyclist who can't even change her own tyre 😥. I did explain I'm normally fine and he said touring bikes are harder to change.  He said to come back 3hrs later.








I set off for Chateau Du Clos Luce the final home of Leonardo da Vinci.  The walk up the hill through mediaeval streets is stunning. The history in one road is incredible.  I walked past more homes built into caves as well as Tudor style homes and arrived at the very popular Chateau.  I queued for half an hour for the one ticket booth attendant with 50 or more in queue.  The Chateau is immaculately preserved.  The grandeur and opulence of the place is evident.



His bed with a huge red velvet four poster bed, dining room and then his workshop where he drew his masterpieces.  A few of his paintings are also on display.


Then to the gardens where they have honoured his love of Botany, Engineering, Anatomy, Science and Architecture with replica working models of his inventions.


I treated myself to a magnificent lunch, made with Renaissance recipes, served  on the terrace overlooking the gardens by waiters and waitresses in period costume.  The atmosphere was beautiful and the food amazing.  A herbed quiche for entree, chicken for main and a poached peach for dessert with a local save blanc and local peach liquor.  


A short wander to see Domaine Royal de Chateau Gaillard but decided not to go in.


Back to the bike shop to find the shop owner very kind.  He found the problem and to cut a long story short, the helpful old man yesterday damaged the rim with his metal tools and then my tube was too narrow and so when inflated, became too fine and so punctured easily.  He also said he can usually change a touring tyre in 5 mins but it took 20 mins 😥. I asked what I could do and he said that I have a sports car instead of a regular car and people who own sports cars usually go to a garage and don't handle themselves 🙄🙄🙄.   He put in a protector and hopefully I will be puncture free from now on.  He said I have strong tough tyres.

Then on to the Chateau Royal d' Amboise which I had saved till the crowds died down.  Built for and by Louis XI.


Stunning!  Immaculately preserved, gardens are all the royal colours of purple and white.  The best round hedges.  


The views of the city (and my campground by the river) breathtaking and so many amazing features such as a huge ramp climbing around the inside of the turrets to allow for the Calvary to ride their horses to the top level!  I wandered the buildings and grounds for a couple of hours.  

Finished by popping into the shop for a salad and some groceries for tomorrow and had delight in riding back to the campground holding a baguette on my handlebars, in France.  Relaxing at the campsite and then will head to the toilet block to hang out for an hour charging my phone 🙄😂🙄😂🙄



3 comments:

  1. Definitely a much better day! Glad you have the tyres sorted and confirmation that it wasn’t just you!
    So many delightful places you are visiting and as always you paint the picture so vividly. Loving waking up to the next installment each day. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relieved the bike is sorted, hopefully permanently. WAP

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...