Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wondering how long it will take to feel like home again? It's difficult to grasp that it's been 14 months since I departed Brisbane, fresh out of a moonboot after breaking my leg and heading off to adventures that I really hoped I could make happen and so many that materialised over the course of time. A dream that I had had for nearly 5 years and sacrificed, made choices and changes to put into action. I've become accustomed to a nomadic lifestyle and the incredible feeling of freedom, self sufficiency with everything i needed strapped to my bike, my new travelling home. My comfort came from being in the saddle and knowing exactly what was in each bag, cycling through new countries or regions, all senses on alert as I drank in the new smells, sounds, accents and language, try to decipher the signage, work out the local supermarket chains, locate water refills, currency and what's a fair price, locate campgrounds, remember to say bon jour instead of guten Tag, the sense of achievement when hills conquered, countries cycled across, navigation through busy city areas, or on and off public transport, camp set up in less than 20 mins, a healthy dinner cooked, negotiating to charge Powerbank at nearby caravans, walking dogs in new suburbs, and invariably answering the perplexed question - “are you by yourself?” And responding to the huge range of responses following that. 

 

The rewarding complexity of cycle route planning, locating campsites, or working out the logistics of relocating myself to various locations for desired events and then finding ways to get there, researching multiple airlines, trains, busses and ferries, houses sits or workaways, intimately managing a budget with daily spend choices, celebrating resourcefulness wins, being planned to some extent but incredibly flexible to take local advice or pivot when circumstances called for it.


Part of me is yearning a little for predictability, for the warmth and accessibility of my family and cat, to finish creating my new home environment in my townhouse I haven't had a chance to finish setting up due to breaking my leg before I left, to have a work family again and receive an income but then the scales are heavily weighted with a desire for adventure, to experience the new, meeting people from all cultures, the mental stimulation of daily logistics versus predictability, volunteering, the excitement of being the interesting foreign person with an Aussie flag and jersey in a foreign land, with the different accent that inspired curiosity and so many spontaneous concersations.. and now to blend in and be the norm, how will that be?


I'm beyond grateful for my good health (had 1/2 day of a stomach bug and the occasional sniffle in 14 months), for my 55yr old body coping with hours of riding, hiking, lugging bags, walking dogs, climbing thousands of stairs, temperature changes, different foods and water (always drank local water). I have felt God's blessing in providing people at just the right time when I have needed practical support or encouragement, whether a reach out electronically from home or a random stranger to help when I've needed it. 


I've had the pleasure of meeting up with friends (new and old) and acquaintances to spend a few hours or a day or a couple of weeks of travel. I've made new friends across a wide range of countries, experienced wonderful hospitality from staying on strangers couches, to staying with people I met on planes, the WW1 battlefield, warm showers hosts, Trusted housesit home owners, and at volunteering opportunities where I made new connections. I look forward to returning these favours and have the opportunity to host in return over the coming years


The line from a song “wherever I lay my hat, that's my home” comes to mind. I've slept on so many types of beds, sleep mats, couches, the floor, square, long skinny, feather, foam or blow up pillows or pillow substitutes sich as folded towels, rolled up clothes as well as beautiful guest bedrooms in housesit homes. I've shivered in my tent wearing as many clothes as I could, inside my sleeping bag and sleep sheet with my silver emergency blanked under my sleep mat and then sweltered in stuffy Hostel rooms on a 38 degree day. One of the benefits of cycling or hiking daily is that you are ready for bed when the head hits the pillow and so I'm usually asleep within minutes and have found a pair of ear plugs a handy accessory for noisy campgrounds, hostels in a party zone or inner city locations with sirens at night. Solo travel means the onus is on you to create the environment you want to be in. Be friendly and usually someone responds, be silent and quiet and you usually get a night to yourself. 


People are the same all over the world and 99% are good. There are grumpy ones, unhelpful and then friendly, smiling, do anything for you types. I have been the beneficiary of so much kindness 😊


A journey like this inevitably makes you grow and I have given myself permission to dream big and choose my adventure and solo travel allows you to fully do this. I've had the time to process past loss, let go of negative comments from the past about my personality and embrace my uniqueness that has allowed me to pull off this adventure. To be reassured that my friendly can do attitude, adaptability and resourcefulness have meant that I could curate an experience where those behaviour traits were appreciated and were integral to success. Ive indulged my interests in nature, flowers, forests and mountains, hiking, history, art, architecture, talking with people, being curious.


I've had time to think about priorities, how I spend my time, and who I want to spend it with and will inevitably make some changes. I had ceased volunteering since pandemic restrictions and hadn't gotten back into it after and aim to thoughtfully do so again. I've appreciated those from home who have made the effort to connect with me while away or respond to my connection and it has been valued, often coming at times when I've felt low or exhausted and a little ping on my phone has given me the boost I've needed. Never under estimate the power a reach out can have to another😊


So, to the next chapter in the life of Tiffany. A little more grounded and home based for a while, immersed in family responsibilities, work and joys of upcoming weddings too. I want to thank you for your generosity in allowing me to share daily. I'm going to enjoy the FB memories over the coming years 😊








No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...