Tuesday, August 13, 2024

London πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ - Shanghai πŸ‡¨πŸ‡³. 7.5km 🚢‍♀️

The overnight trip from Paris on the bus included the ferry from Calais to Dover.  We arrived at the Calais customs area around 3.30am and had to get off the bus and collect our luggage from.under the bus and take it with us.  Not a trolley in sight and my bike bag is heavy, plus my bag of panniers and a hand luggage bag.  John, the hilarious tipsy broad mumbly Irishman with a stutter (try deciphering his conversation πŸ˜‚) came to my aid helping with my pannier bags.  Once my bags were scanned,  a customs guy took me for a quick shortcut with the bike straight back on the bus before returning to go through the passport control queue.  How kind 😊

The ferry ride allowed me to phone home, have a short nap on the carpeted floor and then watch the sunrise as we arrived at the white cliffs of Dover.



Back on the bus and arrived into London Victoria station.  I took my bags to short term storage and met with friend Stephanie ( the apartment I had been housesitting in Paris) who amazingly was going to be there at the same time.  Half an hour chat and a fruit scone and I waved her off.

I had 3 hours to spend either at Gatwick airport early, or walking around London.  Off I went and did a circuit of some favourite iconic sights such as Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Little Ben and Big Ben, Pall Mall, Buckingham Palace. 
Amazingly I came across the horse guards looking regal in their uniform and the band marching from the Palace 😊. The gardens are pretty in flower and it was already 30 degrees and clear blue skies.














Then on the bus to Gatwick.
My bike and bag checked in and off I go.  First flight to Shanghai is 11.5hrs and I'm pretty tired as had less than half hours sleep.

A lovely farewell to London a city I've had the pleasure of visiting a few times 😊

Another step closer to family 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...