Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Manchester UK to Nantes France

 Today has been a very long logistical journey . 8.30am Train from Manchester to London Euston, tube from Euston to Victoria station, train from Victoria station to Gatwick airport, flight to Nantes, shuttle bus to Nantes railway station, train Nantes to St Nazaire and then walk to hotel!! All with a recovering broken leg.




Was nearly in tears by the time I arrived at Victoria train station as the bike bag on one shoulder and bag of panniers on the other shoulder way too heavy and negotiating it all through milling London long station platforms full of people, and then I found I was leaving from platform 18. I found the wheelchair assistance desk and asked if they had trolleys. He took pity on me and I got to go on the beeping assistance vehicle. 





 He then rang ahead to Gatwick train platform. I was absolutely drenched in sweat from my ridiculous workout up and down stairs, escalators etc. 'Elvis' met me at the Gatwick train platform with a trolley. Could have hugged him.



 Made all the difference as the walk from Gatwick train station through one terminal, a tram and another huge terminal would have killed me for sure!

Bags dropped at oversize desk at Easyjet (2 X 20kg bags). 😳




I arrived at Nantes airport after a delayed flight and built my bike. An Italian cyclist was building his too and so it helped me feel confident. 





 Went to info centre who directed me to shuttle bus to train. The driver refused me with the bike and so fired up the GPS and 45 mins cycling later arrived at the train station. Wrong side of the road with loaded bike unexpectedly but was good to do, 





Great veloways and gps took me quiet roads. Just missed one train and so 10.13pm is the next one. Asked train info centre man for restaurant. One only, walked across the road and closed. Waiter asked if I was English and when he said Australian he went and talked to chef and then said I could stay and eat and they made me one dish only - toastie with salad.. 



He has friends backpacking in Australia. I'm shattered! 45 min train journey and Will be at hotel by 11.30pm. Waiter said it's quiet as curfew with riots. Riot police keeping an eye on things. A kind man helped me hang my bike on the bike rack - heavy bike he said! 



 So glad I booked hotel across from the train station. Lights out now just before midnight. What a day fighting imposter syndrome all day, but I did it! Tomorrow is a new day and I'm in France! πŸ‡«πŸ‡·


21 comments:

  1. Brilliant well done you girl. πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I knew you’d get there. Love the special Aussie treatment. Sleep well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly are inspirational, stay safe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally amazing! Nothing imposter like about you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing T Terrffic Tiffany Way to go Your Inspiration lady Keeping you in my prayers lovely NicπŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazing Tiff! You are the real deal! So inspiring my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a Tiffany day!!! You are absolutely amazing. Sleep well, adventurous lady. Tomorrow will be easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome Tiffany. Very trying day but you got there. Unstoppable

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a huge day! You did it! πŸ™Œ You are amazing friend! Been thinking of you! So glad you're getting looked after everywhere you go! Rest up & stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspirational Tiff !! Loving your blogs

    ReplyDelete

CologneπŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

A day being a tourist on a gorgeous sunny 28 degree day.   I took advantage of some of the freebies and offers available to UEFA volunteers ...