Friday, July 14, 2023

Day 10 Blois to Beaugency

 I'm writing this sitting in a comfy chair alongside other campers, listening to some tunes at the casual relaxed cafe at the 10 euro campground, watching the sun start to go down over the Loire river. #perfect

I started the day at my eclectic, rustic terraced garden spot offered by my Warm Showers hostess, just 500m from the Blois castle.  I set off on foot to have a couple of hours exploring the city.  Within 5 mins I was at the Tourisma office for a city map and recommendations.  The castle was built by 3 different contributors between the 13tg & 17th Century, and so the styles are very different depending on which street you view it from. 








I wandered into the Church of St Nicholas which started being built in 1134!!  It is currently being renovated and so it felt pretty special to go inside the church in its raw state.  It has modern stained glass windows .






I continued wandering through the Renaissance area, walking many steep winding streets exploring.  I came across the Blois Cathedral built in the 12th century and then renovated in the late 1600's by Louis XIV after a tornado took the roof off!


Then to see the Houdini museum which has a display on the half hour with hydraulic dragons appearing out of all the windows.  



This upper level of the city gives another entrance view of the castle with horse drawn carriage rides being offered.




Back to my rustic garden to change into riding gear, assemble my bike and head off for the day.


Most of today's ride was through small towns, farm fields, light forest and river views. 



The highlight 20kms in was Chateau Lambord.  I had spoken with a Scottish cyclist a few days earlier who had told me the Chateau was 'bonkers' and I would have to agree with him.  This moated Chateau built in the early 1500's is so large that they allow cyclists to enter and ride the gardens and surrounds for free.  You can hire bikes and golf buggys to see the estate and pay to view the inside rooms.





I spent an hour or so enjoying the views from different areas of the grounds.  





I headed off to continue riding past more farmland, river views and a nuclear power station! .  




The large towns are awkwardly spread apart km wise and so have stopped for the night at a smaller town at a campground on the river, quiet and comfortable atmosphere as didn't feel like riding another 30kms today.  Relaxing day for me and can't believe I've been riding in France for 10 days!!



3 comments:

  1. Amazing day Tiff. So glad you didn’t disappear down the sinkhole 😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great day Tiff. We are all thinking of you from our little pedalling weekend in Moffatdale. It's not France, but we are beside a winery :)

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...