Saturday, September 23, 2023

Day 49 Velky Kosihy πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡° Slovakia to Esztercom πŸ‡­πŸ‡Ί Hungary 82kms

I said farewell to lovely hospitable Elizabeth with a fully tu



mmy of boiled eggs, tomatoes, bread and some more magnificent home made Apricot jam, plus a homegrown apple and pear for the road.


The path on the Slovakian side of the river is well maintained and the mower tractors were all out today keeping it looking great.






Still windy but not as brutal as yesterday and I arrived at the first big town, Komarno and cycled through the small old town area before finding a supermarket to buy water and a few supplies for the ride.  I didn't feel comfortable in the seemingly dodgy area, but came out and my bike was still there.  Over a busy bridge and then straight onto the fantastic path again.  I had been feeling a bit nervous and at times a little scared but pressed on.







Saw quite a few bicycle touring today which was fun.  An Australian family with two daughters, the 13yr old complaining πŸ˜‚. The parents had done trips pre kids and dad whispered that it sure was easier with just the two of them.  I wished them luck and headed off.  Three older Spanish men who had cycled up into France and then cycles the exact route as me and are going to finish tomorrow in Budapest.  I gave them all high fives!
A lovely group of 5 young Greeks who had hired bikes and ridden from Passau on the German/Austrian border  and headed to Budapest.  They kindly said to join them and I did.  Had the most wonderful day with them, chatting and the day flew by. 





 
We arrived into Esztercom late afternoon and had a look around the lovely old town, had a drink together and then headed up to the Basilica high on the hill.  






Built in the 1800's and currently being renovated.  Couldn't go inside but had a look around it and then the lookout over the city and Danube.  






We parted ways, they off to an Airbnb and me to the city campground.  A young Hungarian bicycle tourer arrived not long after me.  She had arrived from Budapest and on her first day of the exact same route I have done, but in reverse.  I shared some campground and sightseeing tips and she added them all to her phone.  Go her!
As in life in general, it's amazing the difference a day can make. I had two lovely friends send messages of encouragement today that spurred me on. People make the difference ❤️

5 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration, Tiff.
    Enjoy Budapest. Recommend St Stephens Basilica ( concert if possible), and nearby Gelarto Rosa.Buda Castle and church there. Great city. So much to see.
    U Ian and A June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the recommendations. I have been before on a work trip but don't think I've been to st Stephen's. I have 80kms to ride and rain forecast all day so will see how I feel after that!

      Delete
  2. It was so fun meeting you last night at the Hungarian Restaurant and talking about your journey both on your bicycle and life, you are inspiring! We’re going to bike
    across Europe! Joe and Brown from Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Good luck with your bike planning. Start with the Loire river route!

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...