Sunday, August 11, 2024

Metz πŸ‡«πŸ‡· 11kms 🚢‍♀️ Sightseeing - Paris πŸ‡«πŸ‡·

 And just like that my mini jaunt is over.  

Today I explored Metz a town with history dating back to Roman times. Metz sits at the confluence of the Moselle and the Seille rivers and was a fortification town and much of the wall still exists. 








Lots of cobbled streets, quaint architecture and relaxed people ambling about on a warm sunny day. I spent the day sightseeing with a young American guy from the hostel as we walked out together and after taking the same direction several times we acknowledged we were probably going to visit similar places. He has been away for nearly a year, travelling on a digital nomad visa and soon to head to the UK due to visa. He is a history buff and added lots to what I was seeing. We went to an extensive museum with a basement with a Roman village, baths etc.  







Afterwards we visited a 'very modern', Modern Art gallery.



Then to one of the fortification wall gates and bridge before parting ways.




I caught my Flixbus for the 5hr seamless journey. One guy in front of me obviously very relaxed as he snored loudly for the 5 hrs, much to the amusement of those around.


I bought a few groceries and back to the apartment just after 9pm.

On the train were many runners with race numbers on. The Paris organising committee ran a ballot for local Parisians to run the Olympic marathon course tonight with 20,024 amateur athletes competing from 9pm and another 20,024 for the 10km from 11.30pm tonight. I'm just a bit tired to head out now to go and cheer them on as I plan on being roadside for the Women's marathon in the morning. Just another fabulous initiative for this city that's turned on an incredible games.


Another day in beautiful France πŸ₯°

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...