Saturday, August 10, 2024

Luxembourg πŸ‡±πŸ‡Ί 20kms 🚢‍♀️to Metz πŸ‡«πŸ‡·

Luxembourg the city has been a pleasure to explore today. This country, surrounded by Belgium, France and Germany has a vibrant past and has quite a regal, welcoming feel about it.  

The capital city is built on a number of layers due to huge cliffs. There are stairs and ramps that take you up or down as well as 23kms of tunnels built into the cliffs.



I took the glass funicular up to the top to walk to a fortress and, as with all transport in the country, this was completely free! This part of the city has modern conference buildings, opera house and museums and they have been built sensitively encompassing the fortress walls. The Fortress is in excellent condition with many levels of walls, like moats but no water. The museum was free and apparently most are free or very cheap with one free day per week!  





I then descended down through the fortress walls and a forest to the river level and made my way to the glass elevator that takes you right to the top of the cliffs. This free elevator gives views of the pretty houses along the waterways and has a glass platform to stand on for more views 😊 (I worked in the elevator industry for a number of years and so nerded out a bit on this πŸ˜‚).




I just made it to my free walking tour in time and Daniella gave an informative tour over the next couple of hours. Some interesting facts such as, Luxembourg used to be the biggest producer of roses in Europe with 200 varieties, each named after the Royal family line and notable people, steel is a major industry, Half of the country’s population are expats and allowed to vote, they speak French, German and English and in the capital also Portugese as many workers were brought in for building projects,, 40yrs ago the Government gave free land to large companies to build headquarters and factories to bring employment to the country. Companies such as Goodyear took them up on it











On the tour I met Amanda (who was enroute to Poland & Latvia to go hiking) from the Gold Coast, we went for a drink and chat after the tour and then to the Cathedral before parting ways. Kindred spirits for sure 😊




I continued exploring the historic areas,








stopped for afternoon tea before returning to my hostel to collect my bag and walk back up the levels to the train station. A bus replacing a train for half of my trip into France due to track work , but pretty smooth transition and connection to the train, arriving 7pm (except I left my bag on the transfer bus and ran back and the driver was working out if it was a danger/bomb or an oversight! Made it back to the train before it departed πŸ™„!).

Back in France tonight in the town of Metz and made my bed and lay down in my hostel.for a bit before heading out to get something to eat. I just caught sunset (9.30pm.dinner!) over the river and the restaurant district bustling. Looking forward to exploring tomorrow 😊


A full and fabulous day πŸŽ‰



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...