Monday, July 8, 2024

Maddybenny to Londonderry πŸ€ 68kms 🚴‍♀️ 5.5km 🚢‍♀️

Some rain overnight and a wet tent to pack up.  Lovely to wander around the farm this morning with ducks and peacocks, friendly farm cat and horses with heads out of their stables to say hi 😊



I headed off in drizzle to Port Stewart, the last coastal town I will visit.  It boasts the longest sandy beach in Northern Ireland and I loved the feel of the town. Bustling this morning with people out walking, cycle groups arriving to cafes, golfers on the course and the beach and sand dunes full of relaxed people.  You can drive onto the beach and so cars parked up with people fishing and swimming!  The sun came out and showed the colour of the sea.






I had a long 10km cycle up a hill towards the pine forests.  I had a break a few times as the road was straight up, no switchbacks to ease the steepness.  I had to push my bike a few times but then enjoyed the views back to the ocean.






Somewhere between Portstewart and the top of the climb my Aussie flag blew away 😭    it was one of my fav things as it brought so much conversation and interest that as a solo traveller I cherished .  Oh well, it is what it is, and I wasn't about to cycle down that climb and back up again to find it.

Picnic lunch with the wind turbines and clear views across the hills.  The clouds disappeared and sun shone and I spent most of the day without a jacket.



Close to Londonderry i was able to divert to a series of cycle paths that lead to a beautiful pedestrian bridge across the river, then cycled along the promenade and marina and up the hill to my Airbnb (no campgrounds within 10kms).







I was feeling pretty tired and hungry and so had a shower and walked across the road for a 2 pound microwave dinner, gave it a zap, And I felt better after food and so walked into town and walked the city walls built in 1613 and the most intact, complete set of walls in Ireland. 




The original canons from the 1600's are also in place.  The walls used to be right alongside the river with the entrance on that side a boat ramp.  A section of reclaimed land built in 1800's has houses, shops and the Guildhall. 

I walked along the promenade for a bit before coming back to my place. 


Hardly a cloud in the sky, sunny and a warm feeling 16 degrees (I'm definitely acclimatised).

Another hilly ride tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...