Sunday, July 7, 2024

Ballycastle - Maddypenny πŸ€ 37kms 🚴‍♀️ 10kms 🚢‍♀️


After rain overnight, I woke to sunny skies and views from the campsite to the cliffs at Rathlin island that I visited yesterday, and beyond to Islay island and Mull of Kintyre in Scotland.  I had my brekky enjoying the view and annoyingly dropped my phone and have smashed the bottom quarter of the face πŸ™„. Hoping it holds it together for the rest of my trip!



A day of hilly and windy riding but very enjoyable for most of the day

The carrick-a-rede hike and suspension bridge was extra special to see as the sun brought out the colours of the water.  The bridge was used by fishermen to bring their salmon catch to the mainland! 








A funny story - the road from the carpark back up to the main road is very steep.  I realised it would be unlikely I'd make 1/4 of it and so decided to just walk the whole thing.  I had a laugh to a lady sitting on a bench saying I knew it was beyond me.  She then told me I was a coward for not even trying as she has seen someone ride it😳  I was waiting for her to laugh but she wasn't joking!

Then to see castle ruins, a chat with a couple from Melbourne who pulled over when they saw my flag.





Then over the hills to Giants Causeway.  This is a UNESCO listed site and extremely popular with visitors from all nationalities there today.  The volcanic rock formations are so unique.  They look like honeycomb when looking from the top down.  The walk down the hill to the beach is quite long with ocean views. I chose the alternate steep walk and stairs back to make a loop and see the panorama. 











Rain had set in halfway through my walk and I sheltered at the visitors centre for half an hour till it eased a little.  Then onto a rail trail alongside the sea and country hilly roads to Portrush.






This is a typical British seaside town with icecream shops, shops selling bright flotation devices and buckets and spades, a Ferris wheel and families everywhere.  The rain stopped as I descended to the town but at 13 degrees, didn't feel summery πŸ˜‚.

A friend had recommended Maud's ice creamery and to try the Pooh bear flavourπŸ₯° (honey icecream) and it would be one of the nicest flavours I've had all year πŸ†



Up the hill I went to my campground for the night.  MaddyPenny, which is quite busy, their primary audience are horse owners and stables full of horses.

I had a cheat's dinner of a marked down chicken curry and I tried soda bread which is doughy and hit the spot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...