Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Kesh - Enniskillen - Lisnaskea. 8km 🚢‍♀️

 This morning Louise and I headed to Enniskillen. We were able to squeeze my bike into her rental car and off we went.


The area is built on a series of lakes and waterways and so the roads wind through the hills and little villages surrounding the lakes.





Enniskillen is a great little town and the only Island town in Ireland.  

First stop to visit the 16th century Castle which is on the banks of the River Erne. The castle walls are intact and the ‘Keep’ as well. There is an excellent, beautifully designed and informative museum of the history of the area.





I learned about ‘Crannogs’ which are artificial islands made from wood, stone and peat and then houses built on them and lived in through to the end of the mediaeval period. There are over 2000 of these man-made islands in Ireland.




There is also a military museum with a range of memorabilia and displays honouring particular soldiers who have been awarded medals such as the Victoria Cross.


We then wandered up into the town visiting churches and the tasteful craft and gift shops. Afternoon tea in a little cafe, visited the Buttermarket.









I had intended cycling to my destination but the rain was teaming down and Louise kindly dropped me off.


I have arrived at my Work away ‘home’ for the next 2 weeks. I'm at a summer camp run by a charity that supports vulnerable teens in the community with activities in the holidays. The centre also has a holiday park where the general public stay and can book in to do a range of activities such as canoeing etc, plus they have english language school camps for European students, mixing English classes and outdoor adventure, plus a group completing their Duke of Edinburgh Award. The campsite also hosts corporate team building weeks/weekends.



 I will have my induction tomorrow and meet the staff etc. and am volunteering as an assistant Activities instructor. I will know more after tomorrow.


I arrived in time for dinner - burger and chips and donuts πŸ˜‚, a little different from Danish teenage food lol. 




I've made up my bed, locked away my bike and will go join the campers and volunteers to watch the Euros France vs Spain on the big screen. Seems a world away that I was in Germany supporting the games. A fun couple of weeks ahead of me at the campsite on the lake 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...