Friday, July 26, 2024

Blackwatertown to Rostrevor 70kms 🚴‍♀️ + 6.5kms 🚢‍♀️

 A wonderful day 😊


My day started with an undulating 25km cycle to Portadown via apple orchards. I then joined the Newry canal path.


The Newry canal is the oldest canal in the UK, built in the 1700's to transport coal and linen to Dublin for export. The canal was in use till the 1940's when the speed of rail travel made it defunct. The canal path is pretty, well used and was a delight to cycle for 18 miles.

I stopped at a gorgeous cafe built right next to the canal path. The array of cakes was incredible but most looked too sweet for me. Now that I'm a Semi-Professional scone judge, I thought I'd better keep my hand in πŸ˜‚. This scone had a lot going on with choc chips, coconut and melted chocolate on top. Delicious but not really 'sconney' and the cream came from a can 😳 but hit the spot. I had three lots of people.come.to.my table to chat. The first pair of cyclists had lots of questions, when they headed off, the next pair came over saying 'couldn't help but overhear...' 😊


At Newry I visited the museum and info centre. The town has had a trouble past with political issues, IRA, industry collapse, unemployment. They have fought back and a thriving town now.

Rostrevor is a quaint and popular village and the sun came.out just as I arrived 😊. I'm.staying at a campground in the National.park.just out of town, up a hill πŸ˜‚

I set up my tent, made and ate pesto chicken pasta and then went off to hike the highest mountain "Cloughmore" with a plan to catch sunset. Views across Carlingford Lough to the mountains beyond 😊. Back to my tent for 9.30pm.for.a.shower and now in my little tent listening to waterfalls and children playing 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...