Saturday, July 27, 2024

Rostrevor to Newcastle πŸ€ 50kms 🚴‍♀️

A coastal ride around the south eastern corner of Northern Ireland.  Farmland and stone wall fences abound.

I had lunch at Annalong bay watching tiny little boats leave the harbour and bob about in the sea.  I spoke to several people as they passed by on their doggy walks, all wanting to know where I was heading and invariably apologising for the Irish weatherπŸ˜‚. 


Today was sunny until 2kms from Newcastle when the rain came down. I cycled along the promenade of this bustling seaside town and sheltered in Lidl and bought some groceries. I came out to sunshine and started my 7km ride up a valley into the mountains with rain appearing again for the last 2kms πŸ˜‚


I'm staying at Meelmore lodge which is a youth hostel in the Mourne mountains with a paddock for camping.  It's busy with many hikers in tents and the hostel is booked out too.  


The view from my tent to the mountains is incredible.  I got my tent set up in a break in the weather and a few showery sessions followed.  I made my dinner - lentils/rice/quinoa mixed with capsicum and onions and some scrambled egg and salad.  Random bits but hit the spot. 


I'm hoping to do some hiking tomorrow 🚢‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...