Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Belfast πŸ€ - Paris πŸ‡«πŸ‡·✈️

A big travel day. Cycle to Belfast bus station, catch bus to international airport, pack down bike, check-in, delayed flight, arrive Paris, go through customs, collect baggage, rebuild bike, meet friend Stephanie, catch a train with bike, cycle 5kms and arrive at Stephanie's lovely apartment.





This visit to Paris has been on the agenda all along as I purchased low cost tickets to the Olympics more than a year ago. I've had to try and sell/ forfeit a couple of events as I couldn't enter France any earlier, but I'm here now and pumped for my first event Rowing, tomorrow morning. I'm staying with Stephanie an Englishwoman who lives in Paris and I met her in Bavaria last August and we have kept in touch. She met me at the airport and we caught the train. She then hopped on the tram and I cycles 5kms to her house, grinning in the 28 degrees as I was cycling in Paris as the sun was settingπŸ—ΌSuch a blessing to have somewhere to stay at such a peak time. I'll be in France for the remainder of my adventure.


I'm sitting at Belfast airport surrounded by Irish accents and reflecting on a wonderful month. If you visit in July expecting warm summer days then you would be disappointed. I came expecting variable weather and it delivered. I had wind, rain, cold, warm, sunshine and sprinkly rain. The natural scenery is beautiful with rugged coasts, UNESCO listed landscapes, great hiking in the mountains, courteous drivers who gave a cyclist a wide berth on the roads. There's a lack of campgrounds from my level of investigation but many other accom types. There are pretty little villages, worker villages, lush farmlands, bustling larger towns, coastal views. Historical sights, castles and many historical sights. great local bus network. Most importantly, all of this is boosted by friendly, curious and welcoming Irish hospitality. Don't be put off by the political issues of the past. There are still rumblings and as with any place I have visited, it is wise to know areas to avoid. I'd highly recommend a visit to Northern Ireland. It gets a ✅ from me.


It's midnight and I have a 6am alarm. Olympic fun awaits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...