Monday, July 29, 2024

Portaferry - Belfast πŸ€ 75kms 🚴‍♀️

I lay in bed this morning listening to the sweet sound of Dan and Grace's little 3yr old River singing nursery rhymes πŸ₯°

Chatting out route options last night with Dan, I completely re-routed based on his advice and also kind offer to drop me to the ferry.
Instead of cycle lane beside the highway, my longer route involved a ferry from one quaint village to another and a day cycling the South East coastline of Northern Ireland. 





The weather turned on a perfect day with sunny skies, light breeze and temps reaching 19 degrees 😊
I cycled for 15kms with 71yr old Alan who rides every day and twice a week does a 50-60km.loop.  he had lots of tidbits of history to pass on 😊






I stopped at the most Easterly point of NI and had morning tea beside the sea.






I lunched on the sea wall at Donaghadee and said hello to an older gent standing near the bin.  I put in my lunch scraps and commented on the lovely weather and he replied that every day beyond your use by date is lovely.  He then proceeded to tell me one dad joke after another and we were both laughing loudly much to the amusement of others.  I bade Carson farewell and he said I'd made his day by saying hi. 



I followed the coastal path to Helens Bay upon recommendation from a man who spotted me and asked what route I was taking.  The path hugs the beach and was slow going as busy with every man and his dog, and kids with buckets and spades, but fun being amongst happy ambling people. 








I arrived at my warm showers host who had looked after a few items for me for the month.  Sam has been away, arriving back at 10.30pm and had hidden a key.  Such trust and kindness.

I did my calculations and I'm 4kms short of 8000kms cycled but didn't feel like a lap or two round the hilly block here just to tick that box todayπŸ˜‚

I'll be sad to leave the warmth and friendliness of Northern Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...