Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Wesel - Rees 🇩🇪 27kms 🚴‍♀️ Rees - Cologne 🚂

This morning I packed up my tent just in time before the rain came down and so I headed off for the day. I had spent an hour or so last night researching a new route on the western side of the Rhine that had some interesting things to see.




I don't mind riding in the rain when it's not freezing cold as well and this morning, 18 degrees meant it was still an enjoyable ride. The route went through farmland alongside the river, a nature bird reserve as well as some industrial factories.


I arrived at the little ferry port to find that it was closed as the Rhine levels too high and swift flowing for small boats. back to Plan A.  

I arrived into the village of Rees which is the oldest town in this region. It has some remains of the old city walls and a lovely atmosphere with cafes and shops, house proud owners with near gardens and well maintained houses. I stopped into a Backerie and tried a rhubarb slice with a gingerbread base - I just point to an item and see what it tastes like, and this was a winner.







I had been riding for a couple of hours in the rain and had planned to ride to the Dutch border and catching the train back, but abandoned this idea and rode to the train station, missing the last 15kms, and managed to work out how to buy myself and my bike a ticket online. Both trains were packed with football supporters. 


Cologne was sunny when I arrived for a short ride to my accom. Just under 200kms for this mini bike tour along the Rhine 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...