Saturday, June 1, 2024

Once Brewed to Caldbeck 71kms 🇬🇧

Hadrian's Way (Wall) : Day 3 

This morning the wind had dropped and there was a forecast of a rain free day. The wind dropping meant the midfield came out in force! I opened my tent and stepped out and was attacked. Straight into eyes and face in particular 🙄 back in my tent and zipped up in shock 😂. So completely packed each pannier, threw them out one by one and sat for a minute to brace myself 😂. It was the quickest tent pack down on record and I ran everything over to the reception area which had a gravel base. I found everyone else doing the same 😂 packing their hiking or bike packing kits in safety. I am now covered in bites, but fortunately, so far, don't seem to be itchy!

Today's ride climbed up and down hills beside Hadrian's wall with lush meadows, lambs and forests. A local rode with me for about 5kms chatting which was lovely.  

I arrived into Carlisle with a plan to visit the old town, big church and castle. I ended up a bit flustered as the traffic was crazy, cycle lanes that just stopped and so doubling back for safety. I settled for just the castle and had some afternoon tea with castle views.  

I took advice from locals and haven't continued riding to the west coast but turned south and am headed for the Lakes District. The Hills were tough today and so I'll do some route planning and see if I think I can continue with my load.

I am staying at another farm campsite in a quaint pretty village beside a stream. A full campsite but they squeezed me in on the same plot as a hiker as we both have tiny tents. Lots of hikers doing the Cumbrian way staying here. I've had a hot shower, made a yummy dinner and now relaxing. I'll be a bit muscle sore from pushing my bike and riding the hills. Such a gorgeous area though ❤️

My updated travel map for the last few months.

https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...