Friday, May 31, 2024

Acomb - Once Brewed 30km 🚴‍♀️πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

 

Hadrian's way (Wall) Route day 2.

Today I clocked over 7000kms cycled 


The storms and rain overnight were pretty full on and I was dry but the tent soaked. Fortunately it settled about 5am! I had a later start to my cycle day as had all my camp gear strung up along the fence to dry.

Lots of water and debris along the roads, and apparently the Newcastle to Carlisle trains all cancelled due to a landslide down the road.

Today was rain free but had fierce icy cold headwinds and lots of hills.


First stop was to the beautiful Market town of Hexham. Famous for the Abbey which was one of the first Christian churches, built in the 600's. It's beautifully preserved and a peaceful place to explore.  


I am following the official National cycling route 72 which takes quieter back roads and some.of the major sights. I took the very steep down and up the other side road to Vindolanda an incredible open air museum of a Roman garrison village ruins. The site is extensive and again I am so impressed by the design features of Roman towns. Aqueducts, water channelling, roads, baths, latrines in the corners of town for hygiene reasons, store houses with floor ventilation.


I was feeling pretty tired after little sleep and battling winds and steep hills and so decided to have a night in a hostel. I cycled there but they were fully booked πŸ™„. I had planned on riding to Carlisle but didn't have another 30kms in me. A farmer's paddock campground a few KMs away has been perfect. It's right near Hadrian's wall, which till then I hadn't actually seen yet.


I set up my tent, got chatting with a young hiker in the next tent and two cycle touring guys going the opposite direction to me.


Once I was set up, Ben and I walked up the steep hill behind the farm to Hadrian's wall and did a 5.5km loop along the wall to Steel Rigg section which is atop cliffs, to a fort before making a loop back to the campground via the Twice Brewed pub in the tiny town of 'Once Brewed' πŸ˜‚ for a drink and a bite to eat with the cyclists.


Came outside and the wind has droppedπŸŽ‰ and it's looking like it might be a fine day tomorrow


Lying in my tent listening to little lambs bleating ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...