Thursday, May 30, 2024

Dundee - Newcastle 🚂 Newcastle - Acomb 🇬🇧 38kms 🚴‍♀️

PHITOS TO BE ADDED WHEN I HAVE WIFI


A comfortable nights sleep at my hostel and at the train station for a 7.15am train to Newcastle via Edinburgh.  Sunny skies and interesting to pretty much retrace my steps back down the coastline I cycled up.  I had a friendly lady Mary sit next to me for the second half of the journey and we chatted away.


I have started the Hadrian's Way rouge that follows Hadrian's wall across the width of England.  Today's ride followed the Tyne river with great cycle paths, busy with families on school holidays on a very head windy day.  Some cute villages and forest areas as well as farmland.


Corbridge was the most northerly town in the Roman empire and is a pretty market town.  I stopped to look around and had a scone in one of the many little cafes.  Then to look at St Andrews church, built AD676 which used stones from Hadrian's wall and even has a full arch taken from the Roman fort 😳. 


The Corbridge Roman Fort, built in AD85  is nearby and the site has been excavated and shows the ability of   the Romans to built wisely.  They tapped into a natural spring and created an aqueduct that fed into a series of pools to aerate the water for drinking. The grain stores had under floor ventilation to help keep the produce fresh.  Under floor heating in many buildings too.  The fort and subsequent town covered 40 hectares!  


I left the site as they were closing and set off to the farm campground.  The fields are so green!  The hills have started and I diverted off the route to go to the campground perched on top of a huge hill with views from my tent through to the lake district .  I made my dinner and sat in the sun admiring the view.  


A large storm has rolled in, temp dropped at least 5 degrees. I thought it might skirt around us but no, I've been sheltering in my tent for an hour of heavy rain so far.  Currently dry but asking a lot of my little tent to fend off this degree of rain 🙄😂


Great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...