Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Markinch - Dundee (via St Andrews) 56kms 🚴‍♀️

The sun beamed through the trees straight onto my tent, and the birds were twittering - a lovely way to wake up.


Today's ride climbed through the hills with farmland, beautiful views, forest areas, hills with yellow gorse in flower, a rainforest style road winding between cliffs and a rushing river and then a downhill stretch to St Andrews on the ocean.








I had my picnic lunch beside the 1st tee and the 18th hole, watching the golfers with a crowd of others.




We had visited St Andrews 26yrs ago and Paul and I took Justin and Aaron to play mini golf on the Women's course.  it's now called the Himalayas as it's very undulating.  I had a round and, a bonus about playing alone is you are sure to win 😂. It started raining from the 14th hole but it didn't dampen my spirits 😊





I put on my rain gear and back on my bike to ride the last 25kms to Dundee.  I had planned on walking or riding along the beach adjacent to the Old Course, made famous in the Chariots of Fire movie, but it was raining heavily.



The ride to Dundee was pretty straight forward for most of it and included a ride across the River Tay in a special 2.25km cycle and pedestrian lane in the middle of the bridge with an elevator at the end to come down to ground level.




My bike had been making a clicking sound and I wanted to get it checked out at an interesting sounding Bike Hub, bike shop.  So glad I did as it was my bottom bracket and even though it was near closing time, they fitted a new one for me.  The shop does a huge amount in the community to get people riding, bike maintenance, group riding and fantastic staff.








At a hostel tonight as an early train in the morning.  An evening of excellent conversation with a range of interesting people across nationalities while we cooked and then ate at a big shared dinner table. 
Another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...