Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Cologne ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช - Edinburgh ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง✈️ Edinburgh - Markinch ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง 54kms ๐Ÿšด‍♀️

My quick trip to Cologne is over and so off to the airport.  This is one of the consequences of not being able to get a French visa for July and August.  Difficult to explain and understand but it means I am unable to stay in Germany for a month for UEFA, but need to save some European visa days now so I can play later.   I have located the cheapest flight tickets in and out of Cologne and will cycle to each of the airports required in the UK in order to make this volunteering gig more affordable.

I set off early this morning to allow time to look at Cologne cathedral without Mass and crowds of tourists.  An organist playing added to the atmosphere and the stained glass are some of the best I've seen!





I've found it amusing that I've had many tourists approach me in Cologne with their google translate at the ready, to ask for directions.  Perhaps they think I'm a local?  I think it's my hiking sandals and pannier bag combo ๐Ÿ˜‚

I  managed to not notice an unhelpful auto correct when typing the Cologne airport into my transport app and ended up at the airport business park on the other side of town.  Fortunately I have only hand luggage and I'd checked in online.  So lots of trams and trains for me before I arrived at Cologne airport for my flight.

I had planned on a couple of days sightseeing in Edinburgh before heading south but I could feel my bike fitness dropping and it just makes the hills all the harder when back on the bike, and so, 12 days off is enough and I've headed north towards Dundee before my muscles forget what to do!  Very blessed as the rain stopped as I was setting off and I had storms in front and behind me all day with only an occasional sunshower ๐Ÿ˜Š.

It was a slow ride north out of Edinburgh as many bike paths, often partially flooded, and lots of mud at times. 



Very cool to cross over the harbour on the Forth road bridge with views to bridges either side.  The old bridge is now used for cyclists, pedestrians, busses and taxis.  A good gradient to climb and great views. 




Then I followed the coast east along the Coastal path before turning north to my campground for the night.  I'm the only camper, but lots of motorhomes and caravans.








Long day but I'm glad to be touring again ๐Ÿ˜Š

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...