Sunday, June 2, 2024

Caldbeck πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 18.5kms 🚢‍♀️

 Today was a ‘rest day' as I felt a bit whacked from the hills and this is a pretty area.  I opted to go for a hike to the recommended “High Pike” Fell that's visible from the campground.


The route weaved through the village of Caldbeck on the edge of the Lake District, through farmers fields and little laneways before starting the proper ascent.  Bare green fields with curious sheep and lovely views which became even clearer as I climbed.  I reached the summit, had my picnic, chatted with a few other hikers but couldn't help noticing all the other summits that were now visible.  One just didn't seem enough πŸ˜‚. 


Took some advice from other hikers and set off over to a hill fort location.  I was warned it would be boggy, which I innocently thought I could avoid πŸ˜‚. I ended up walking with a young mum, Ashley, trying to get back into hiking after having a little one 18 months ago.  


I hadn't ever really experienced walking on boggy ground.  The ground in general for most of the hike was spongy and moist but the bogs go to another level.  I stepped and unexpectedly went halfway up my shin and struggled to get out!  I then knew more what to look for and avoided a repeat.  It was quite funny and would have been to watch.  The 360 degree views to layers and layers of mountains and rivers and little lakes, green and barren hills with lots of hikers and trail runners and mountain bikers dotted over the mountains enjoying a particularly magnificent weather day.


I arrived back to camp late afternoon after 18.5 kms hiking as other hikers started arriving and setting up tents.  Made a yummy dinner and now relaxing beside the creek, birds and lambs and with the sun still warm.  It is forecast to drop to 6 degrees overnight as it's so clear!


Fabulous day in nature! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...