Monday, June 3, 2024

Caldbeck - Keswick 27kms 🚴‍♀️🇬🇧

Keswick to Castlerigg Stone Circle loop 12km 🚶‍♀️🇬🇧

A lovely sunny morning while packing up my tent and setting off for the day.

My route was quite hilly as I headed up towards the peaks I climbed yesterday. 


The mountains got closer and closer and I had to push my bike up 5 different hills that were too steep for me in the first 5kms 🙄.

Country lanes, green hills, blue skies, hikers and mountain bikers out enjoying the morning.

I then followed a valley with stunning mountain views of the Lakes District for the rest of the ride.  The route joined into a dedicated cycle and bike route undulating along the side of the mountains, joining onto a popular repurposed rail trail for the last 5kms into Keswick.

Keswick is a bustling outdoorsy hub with the majority of people in hiking, cycling or water sports gear wandering through town. Many outdoors stores too.
I continued on riding to my campsite alongside Derwentwater.  Cyclists and backpackers get to set up our little tents right beside the lake and I'm in my tent as the sun sets watching the geese and ducks on the lake 😊

After I'd set up, I had wanted to hire a kayak but I could see everyone out on the lake was struggling with the strong winds and so opted for a hike instead.  I wasn't expecting lush rainforest beside a rushing creek plus views back to Derwentwater as I climbed.  The stone circle is set in an amazing location surrounded 360 degrees by mountains and was popular today.

I had leftovers from last night, used the last of my pasta and added some fresh beans and cooked and ate with lakeside views 😊. The weather has turned and rain due overnight 😥. Was good while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...