Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Manchester - Lincoln 🇬🇧

A relaxed start to the day. I farewelled my lovely hospitable warm showers hosts and cycles to the train station bound for Lincoln. Fine weather, but blowing a cold gale.


I arrived into Lincoln a few hours later, and Bob met me at the train station with his bike to cycle me back to their place. As soon as we walked out of the station the wind picked up and from nowhere a huge hail.storm started. Only fine hail but accompanied by strong winds and rain 😂. Ten mins later it just stopped!


We cycled to his house. We met a couple of months ago on the WW1 battlefields in France where Bob and his mate spotted my Aussie flag as I cycles up a steep hill to a memorial site. They came over to chat and find out my story and have followed on FB since. Bob kindly offered for me to stay and meet the family and explore the Lincoln area and so here I am for a few days.

I've had a great afternoon exploring Lincoln castle, build by William the Conqueror in 1068 and I took the interesting audio tour along the intact walls. It has lots of unusual features with jail's, including the first isolation treatment of inmates, a courthouse that's still used today. They were setting up the grandstand for the Crowded House concert to be held on Saturday.  














I then headed to Lincoln Cathedral, built 1072, that was the tallest building in Europe for 200 years until the tall spire collapsed. This would have to be one of the most beautiful cathedrals I've visited, the stained glass windows are impressive, the detail and workmanship in the stone impressive. I discovered that they hold Evensong on a Monday early evening and so stayed to hear the school age choir, with voices of angels, sing their way through the service. 














This is a town with a lot of history as being on the Roman road route from London to Edinburgh.


I had a relaxing evening with Bob, Amy and the kids. Feeling very blessed by their generosity 

😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...