Thursday, June 27, 2024

Cologne πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ - Skjope πŸ‡°πŸ‡΅(North Macedonia)

A long day that's still not over for me 😊


The alarm came quickly this morning after a wee hours bedtime but I was excited for my 2nd Aussie visit in two days. Today was the lovely Louise who has just started her holidays and managed to create a 2hr stop over in Cologne as her train route was to go past.


We had a special couple of hours of catching up, morning tea (had a repeat of the delicious strawberry pastry from yesterday) and some local sightseeing before waving her off to her next adventure. 😊




Then, time for a sobering museum visit for me.


The NS Documentation museum site, home of the Nazi movement. The site has been recreated and is packed full of records, a timeline of events outlining the indoctrination and rise of the Nazi movement, the effects it had on citizens of Cologne, the brutality experienced by those considered 'unworthy of life' due to disability, physical appearance, nationality (Jew) etc.




they have preserved inscriptions and drawings grafitti that the accused scraped into the plaster walls in the basement cells of the jail,



plus the courtyard where executions took place. Only 23 people who were sent to concentration camps from Cologne survived πŸ˜₯ A difficult place to visit. In 1943, the destruction of the city meant that 1/3 of the citizens were homeless.


I then went back to make some lunch and pack a small bag before heading to the Brauwelt brewery to meet a fellow volunteer Sabine for a tour (volunteer discount).


The guide was extremely knowledgeable. The Kolsch beer can only be called that if brewed within 30km radius of the Cologne Cathedral.




We got to try some beer fresh from the vat and you could definitely taste the freshness.


We were then invited to join some English guys for a few drinks


and watched some soccer at the brewery beer garden before we headed to a kebab shop for dinner and then Sabine walked me to the train station.


My 11.10pm flight has been delayed till 1.30am, arriving hopefully to my hostel by 4.45am ish πŸ™„πŸ™„. I have a tour booked for 9am and so my run of short nights of sleep continues πŸ˜‚


Looking forward to exploring my 20th country this trip😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cologne πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ - Manchester πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ✈️

 The morning came around quickly and I reset the foldout lounge back into an office, grabbed my gear and the bedding and headed to my friend...