Thursday, May 9, 2024

Nantwich πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 45kms🚴‍♀️

Today marks 1yr since I broke my leg mountain biking, 6.5 weeks before I was due to fly out on this adventure. I feel so blessed that I was able to work with a physio to begin rehab within 3 wks and start riding my touring bike, 8 wks post injury! 



A fabulous Cheshire riding loop today. I love riding alongside the canals and it's one of the benefits of having tyres a little wider than a road bike. It was a bit rough but I love the socialness of chatting with people on board, finding their story of where they are going and have come from, if they own it or have hired it. I ride alongside them as they punt along. 





 Saw all sorts of locks, manual drawbridges, electric drawbridges that work from a button press by the skipper.



Then through farm lanes to Nantwich.


What a pretty town with well used parks and gardens and a bustling centre. The town was mostly destroyed by fire and had to be rebuilt - in 1585 πŸ˜‚. The style at the time was Tudor and so the main street and surrounding lanes are filled with quaint tudor buildings. This town was on the main coaching route London to Chester.




The church was only partly damaged and has very pretty stained glass. There seemed to be a service on and so I only ventured a little way, and then realised it was a funeral! Quick exit.








Then through the grounds of Reaseheath Hall which was purchased from the landowners by the council in 1921 and turned into an Agricultural school, which it still is today.





Then on to the Venetian Port! An inland port near the junction of two canals where people can leave their canal boats moored long term.






A visit to Dee's Venetian Port cafe for scones but alas, she was only just making the batch and I didn't have time to wait. I, instead, continued my research on Lemon cake and today's is sitting at No. 1. I had a number of interested people come for a chat while i sat outside at the cafe. My flag or hat seems to be cause for interest. A couple cycled in for a bacon bap and we shared cycle touring tales.


Back on the road again and back to the animals.





Spring has sprung and the good weather is the talk of the town ☀️

This afternoon some chores and a few more planning winsπŸŽ‰

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...