Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Malpas 🇬🇧 35km 🚴‍♀️

 A local cycle lap for me in Cheshire today to visit some of the villages and country lanes in the area. I got close to the Welsh border but a few sprinkles and forecast rain meant I cut my ride short by about 10kms.


First stop in Malpas to the Church of St Oswald, built 12th century and sitting atop the hill surrounded by Tudor style cottages. It has beautiful painted wooden ceilings with wooden angels 😊, stained glass windows which I love.  







I've seen in many locations now that local aristocrats and land owners in the 1200's-1800's funded the building of churches and these families are usually honoured inside. Well, the Malpas church has the spectacular marble tombs of the Cholmondeley Marquis' from the 17th century (and I'm living in their hunting lodge!).




Lots of friendly cyclists out today, a peleton said g'day as they zoomed past me and saw my flag, a couple of cycle tourers who spotted my pannier racks, flag and hat asked questions about my journey. A friendly social ride.





Then back to the animals for a play on the lawn, a walk in the back paddock and then relaxing with my audio book.








Very chilled day 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...