Monday, May 6, 2024

Cholmondeley Castle 🇬🇧 15km 🚴‍♀️

The beautifully renovated property that I'm house and pet sitting for used to be the Hunting Lodge for Cholmondeley Castle. The large estate has been in the family since the 12th century and the current castle was built in 1801 to replace an older building. The 7th Marquis of Cholmondeley and his wife live in the property but they open the grounds for visitors on weekends. He is good friends with the Royal family and played a part in King Charles Coronation!  






This May bank holiday weekend is the highlight of the year as they have 7.2 million bluebells in the grounds. The wetter weather has meant a bumper crop. They open up the gardens for visitors on weekends and so thought I'd cycle to have a look.





Also in bloom (I asked what they were) are the most gorgeous Japanese tree peonies. Their flowers are huge and yet delicate and everyone was admiring them.







There were thousands of people exploring the grounds, picnicking, walking their dogs etc.












This was a very relaxing way to spend a couple of hours on a sunny warm (18 degree) day and only a short cycle loop to get there and back.







This afternoon spent on more planning and I've now locked in all the key dates and destinations I needed to do for plan B. Now I'll start filling in more gaps in chronological order. I'm cycle touring again from Saturday and so need to research campgrounds etc.  I picked a gorgeous little bunch of spring flowers from my garden 😊


Now on the lounge with happy sleeping pets 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...