Friday, May 3, 2024

Keukenhof - Amsterdam Airport 🇳🇱 28kms 🚴‍♀️

Manchester - Whitchurch 🇬🇧🚂

My 12 wonderful days bike touring in France, Belgium and the Netherlands (570kms) is finished. Three very cycle friendly countries. I built this trip around two special, time specific events - ANZAC Day in the Somme, France and the Keukenhof Tulip gardens, Netherlands which open for just 6 weeks a year. The weather got progressively better and today was a warm 20 degrees and light winds.

I finished with a truly special morning.  Packed up my tent after a great night's sleep, made some porridge and cycled 5kms to the Keukenhof gardens. My cycle passed through daffodil and tulip farms but, as it's the end of the season only a few flowers left in the fields.  I was imagining what it would be like in April 😊

The gardens were everything I wanted and more.  The range of vibrant and pastel coloured tulips is like a painters colour palette.








  Stripey ones, frilled edges, long stemmed, dainty little ones.  The lawns are immaculate and ponds and fountains and trees mean that thousands of visitors at a time can be accommodated.  What a joy to be surrounded by fellow nature and flower appreciators.  It's truly breathtaking ❤️🌷








I dragged myself away after 2.5hrs and rode 22kms to the airport.  It was not straightforward due to roadwork but I found my the correct terminal and started the process of packing down my bike.



  I was meeting up with Todd and Ellen some new friends I had met in Bavaria who amazingly were going to be at the terminal the same afternoon.  Neither Todd nor I could get off one of the pedals but we managed to get the bike into the bike bag and checked in.  Thanks for your company and help! 

While Ellen walked with me in the queue, Todd pulled out his trusty little chair and minded a young guy's bike while he dashed off to buy a bike box.



Then flight to Manchester.
Fortunately my bike and panniers arrived.  I rebuilt my bike and then caught a train to my next housesit where I'll care for a cute dog and two cats for a week.

Counting visa days is a constant challenge.  For those that are the praying types, I have an appointment first thing in the morning with the French Embassy who may or may not grant me a French visa for my last 6 weeks of my trip. (6.30am cycle to the train station) I won't be advised straight away and could take up to 3 weeks to find out. 
I have some alternate plans should I not be successful but would love to enact Plan A 😊🙏

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to England Tiff. Hopefully the weather will be kind to you. Well done on completing the ride
    Up through Belgium to Netherlands 👌. Seems so long since myself and Dan saw you at the Canadian memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do encounter any problems in England you can call me on 07798 588370. We don’t live too far away from Chester area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! You never know, I may just send a message one day!

      Delete

Carnfunnock - Cushenden 🍀 47kms🚴‍♀️ , 5km 🚶‍♀️

 An enjoyable day exploring the Coastal road north of Belfast. Last night strong winds and heavy rain made it a bit hard to sleep, but thank...