Monday, May 13, 2024

Druridge Bay - Budle Bay 🇬🇧 60km 🚴‍♀️

Coast and Castles Day 2

I awoke this morning to a clear looking day and then within half an hour a thick fog rolled in!

Mother's day in Australia today and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a mum.  It's a role I cherish and I found it difficult to be away and so a little melancholy in the fog this morning...  Justin sent through some nice photos with my mum which was lovely.

I set off and had to laugh as I was following the coastal path, could hear the ocean but could barely see it over the dunes.  I asked a local person out hiking and he said it should clear by 10, I asked another after 10 and he said by 11, and the next said by 12 and the last said it will clear when it's good and ready 😂





I took it slowly, calling in on villages,  chatting to and answering questions from hikers and people in towns to kill time till the fog lifted 😂 2pm the sun finally burned through the fog 🎉

Today's route had so many contrasts - coastal dunes, WWII Army Bunkers, rolling green farmland, lambs, fishing boats, lowtide with the ocean a long way from shore, castles, green algae, gorse in flower, flatland, hills, smooth paths, chunky gravel, country lanes, potholes.








I made it to Bamburgh castle, an impressive castle built on a rocky outcrop.  I was in meander mode today and by the time I reached the castle it was half an hour from closing and for $40 admission, I wanted a longer look.  I bought a scone with Jam and cream instead and gazed at the castle while I ate.  A cricket match being played on the grounds below.











Then 5km up the road to my campground beside a creek and in a peaceful location.  A couple of lads cycled in not long after me on their first bike packing trip from Edinburgh to London.  They had a big day and were feeling proud of their efforts.


Day 2 done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...