Sunday, May 12, 2024

Crewe-Newcastle🚂-Druridge Bay 67kms🚴‍♀️

Coast and Castles Route:  Day 1


The sun was shining and top of 24 degrees 🎉🎉

My housesit family drove me and my bike to the train station.  4hours and 2 trains later (full of Newcastle fans heading to the game, and me 😂) I arrived into Newcastle-Upon-Tyne early afternoon.  The city was buzzing as supporters in jerseys everywhere, cafes and bars full, the cycle and footpaths full of people out enjoying the weather.







My route took me 15kms along the Tyne river to the River mouth, then another 20kms weaving along the busy coast with beaches full of sunbathers and some swimmers!










The second half of my ride followed National Route 1, continuing to hug the coast with industrial ports, parks and gardens, lots of small river tributaries creating diversions to bridges.  The route then diverted away from suburbia to coastal sand dunes, tiny villages and farmland.  









I arrived to my campground at 6.45pm and within half hour, tent set up and showered and then i made my dinner.  Chicken and avocado pesto pasta tonight, and it went down a treat.




A really lovely, albeit quite a slow, pedestrian affected route.  An afternoon start meant a late finish but it's light till 9pm and so all good.  The temp has dropped down to 11 degrees already which is noticeable.  Tomorrow is forecast to be fine during the day but only 13 degrees maximum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...