Saturday, May 11, 2024

Beeston castle 🇬🇧 35kms 🚴‍♀️

As I opened the back doors for the animals this morning, to my delight a huge, Virgin branded hot air balloon was coming over the hill.  It floated past and I think.prpbably landed not far down the road. Possibly at Cholomondeley castle?  Perhaps Richard heard I was in town and was trying to locate me 😂😂


This morning I headed off on my bike again through gorgeous rural countryside, quiet lanes, tudor houses to Beeston Castle. I could see the castle high on the hill in the distance.



There originally was an Iron Age fort but the castle was built in the 1200’s.  Incredible that they hand dug and cut through the sandstone and then used the rock to make the brickwork for the castle.  It has a huge moat like appearance but never held water. 





I left my bike at the entrance and walked up the big hill and ramp into the castle.  360 degree views of the gorgeous countryside and such a warm lovely day too.








In 2019 they built a replica Iron Age fort based on their findings during excavation.  



Back through the country lanes, saying hi to other cyclists and farm workers, dodging tractors 😂


This afternoon spent cleaning the house as the home owners returned this evening.  I made my “welcome home Mushroom risotto” as they had driven 7hours from Scotland.  We chatted all night, delightful couple and have offered a bed anytime I'm in the area 😊





This has been a really enjoyable house and pet sit and I'm a Cheshire fan.

I am back on my bike touring in the morning 🚴‍♀️😊🎉


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...