Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Budle Bay - Holy Island - Berwick - Coldstream 85kms🚴‍♀️

 Castles & Coast Day 3


Today I have cycled to my 19th country of this trip - Scotland!  


I left the campsite and had a hilly and slightly foggy ride to the causeway across to Holy Island.



I had stayed at the campground closest so that I could cross and return in the low tide window. Such a cool thing to do and the narrow concrete causeway had sand, seaweed and algae to navigate as well as a stream of vehicles and tour busses 'picking the gap'. 



In 635AD Saint Aidan came from Iona and chose to found his monastery on the island of Lindisfarne. From here the Christian message flourished throughout the world. There is the first Priory and also a castle high on a rocky outcrop and a small village. 




 




Then back on my bike to cross the causeway again and join the coastal route north to Berwick. The views were sensational, with grassy dunes, cliffs down to rocky shelves, sea birds, farmland with lambs and yellow crops. Many hikers, bird watchers, shell collectors, picknickers and some cyclists.








Then to Berwick the northern most town in England and one that has changed hands between Scotland and England multiple times. I cycled the city walls, admired the 3 bridges and then continued on my way.








My route passed luxury homes with Tweed river views and then became very undulating (read hilly!) and crossed some remarkable bridges.




I arrived to my immaculate campground, am one of two tents but many staying in the mobile homes or huts.




A big but fabulous sunny day🎉


https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...