Saturday, February 3, 2024

London 🇬🇧 - Aarhus 🇩🇰

Easy flight to the tiny airport of Aarhus and straight out to the transfer bus.  



Loving Denmark.  Lots of crisp cool fresh air 😊. This is a university town and so alive with youth.  The cycle culture is huge and bike racks everywhere, dedicated bike lanes with all types of cyclists and bike types.  


It's always a little overwhelming arriving somewhere new initially but I feel settled already.  A lot of extra consonants in the signage 😂. But they say a version of Hi upon greeting and so that's nice to start with. 


I went straight to my hostel and it's incredible.  Called a Design hostel and it's like a quality hotel with large foyer, common room, bar and restaurant, indoor putt-putt over two floors.  Rooms are sleek with clean lines, curtains on bunks and huge lockers.





Off I went with less than an hour till sunset.  First stop to the old town created as an open air museum Den Gamle By.  They have relocated a huge number of buildings from surrounding areas and have a village that starts in the 1500's and finishes in the 1970's.  It's incredibly well done.  There is an entry fee but the gate was open and so in I went!  Information plaques on all the buildings.  There were others all guiltily walking through and all of us waiting to be kicked out 😂.  The light faded after an hour and so if I can, I'll go back in daylight tomorrow.









Then a walk down through the main cobbled old town pedestrian street with shops and restaurants.  Lots of people out walking and cycling. 




Down to the dock area and then found the huge bustling covered street food market similar to Eat street markets.  I ate from the traditional Danish market with a creamy tomato casserole 😊





Wandered back to the hostel which now has a DJ playing music, a diverse age of people in the common room and bar and playing putt putt. Fun end to a fab day with a mango gin.  Looking forward to exploring in the daylight tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...