Sunday, February 4, 2024

Aarhus 🇩🇰 day 2

This morning I headed off to locate the bakery that won the Danish best bakery competition for 2023 and conveniently located not too far away.  I tried their award winning pastry the Molbosnegl - a chocolatey cinnamon pastry delight.  5 star rating from me!








Then popped into a gorgeous church - walked right into a christening 🙄 and then through beautiful neighbourhoods to the edge of the forest and the seaside. 






Two ladies swimming laps in the ocean 😳.  The sun was shining and a strong wind a blowing but beautiful with the little fishing dinghies.

Then I raced back to meet my walking tour outside the railway station.  The area was milling with people and I couldn't find anyone holding a walking tour sign or looking for missing people.  I tried messaging through the app but no response.  Felt a bit devastated and after half an hour gave up and went off myself to explore. 
The main shopping street has tables and racks right out into the mall filled with clothes and no-one must steal them 😳.



The 12th cathedral is beautiful with its hand painted murals and an unexpected Viking ship model hanging from the ceiling.









Then to the Latin quarter which was an old run down area repurposed in the 80's to a vibrant cafe and restaurant area. I bought a beautiful salad for lunch from the supermarket and then another pastry from a bakery with a queue (always a good sign!) - a seasonal treat with a chocolate marzipan centre - also delicious!  I was interviewed for TV on how I handle tragedy.







Back to my hostel to eat my lunch and pickup my gloves and beanie and then to the Knuntsmuseum (Art gallery) with the rainbow walkway on top.  The gallery was buzzing with visitors and covers 10 floors of art and art installations and interactive exhibits.  The rainbow circular walkway gives incredible views of the city through a coloured lens.








I received a message from the walking tour guide apologising and offering a private tour - yay!  I met him at 5pm for an interesting tour learning about the Viking heritage from 1200 years ago, growth of the city through shipping and manufacturing trains.  We finished with rooftop views of the city.


Back to street food for dinner and got chatting with a lovely young Chinese student studying in London and his first European mini break. 




What a beautiful.city 🎉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...