Monday, February 5, 2024

Aarhus - Horne - Hirtshals 🇩🇰

I said goodbye to my roommates and left the hostel and headed for the train station, via a bakery.


I boarded the first of 3 trains, with big comfy spacious seats.  The train passed through farmland, woods and some wetlands.  An incidental chat with a fellow traveller saved me as she advised that I had to press a buzzer if I wanted the train to stop at the announced station 😳. Totally wouldn't have known if it wasn't for Bebe.  She was off to visit her mum in a nursing home for the night.






I will be staying at Horne, just outside of Hirtshals in the north on the North sea on a workaway assignment.  One of my fellow workawayers, Alex, walked to meet me at the train platform that really does feel like being dropped in the middle of nowhere.  Bracing winds and mostly blue skies.  Alex is a chatty young Italian with a Danish grandmother and is considering moving here.


There are four workawayers, my roommate Kiri a Japanese girl, Alex and Timo a Dutch guy and we all share a traditional Danish country home.







Our assignment is at the Boarding school and tomorrow I will find out my weekly tasks.  The school has 15-17yr Olds and seems to have lots of extra curricular activities.  


There are bikes for use and I took one for a 20km exploring ride.  A cruiser style bike with 3 gears, 35 mph winds and 5 degrees (+ wind chill) 😂. These are the weather conditions on the North sea!  Hirtshals is a small fishing village 4kms away, and a major port for Ferry and cargo ships travelling to Norway and Sweden with a lighthouse.








 I picked up some salad items and cycled back as the sun was setting. 




Alex made us pesto pasta and I contributed a salad.

I never got to live in a share house so am looking forward to the next month.  Currently sitting in front of a fire with Alex watching Italian soccer and Kiri reading a book.  





I've updated my travel map - a lot of travel since October.  May start my 3rd travel map once I leave Denmark 🤔. https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net/uk-travel-2023


“Godnat” from Denmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...