Thursday, February 8, 2024

Horne day 4 Hirtshals lighthouse

I woke to a snowy view out of the window.  While I worked today the snow came down and everything looks so beautiful. 



Our house with Timo shovelling the snow on our path

Today was Aussie music day and it's interesting how many songs were familiar to the kitchen crew.

I had a small break before lunch and so ran outside where the janitor, Martin was ploughing the driveway and parking areas and I made a little snowman. ❤️. Martin and the kitchen crew thought it hilarious that I had made such a small snowman.

Kim and Kiri on garlic peeling duty 😂




Today's lunch was a beautiful chickpea curry, packed with veges and served on bulgar such lucky teens to have quality food.



This afternoon I took the bike for a ride to the lighthouse that was too windy to get to on Sunday.





Stunning visual feast - snow, sand, sun, seagulls with blue skies and a picturesque lighthouse.  







The Bunker museum is an open air museum surrounding the lighthouse and is a series of WWII German bunkers used to defend the coast of Denmark.  The bunkers were excavated and opened to the public in 1996 as a museum and they have recreated the inside of one with bunk beds, uniforms, weapons, gas masks, cooking areas etc.  excellent information plaques in Danish, German and English.   The views of the coastline and wild beaches on the North sea beautiful in the afternoon light.














I was getting way too cold and still had to ride home.  I made it back but fingers frozen and took quite a while to warm up - but totally worth it! 




We didn't eat at the school tonight as Alex made us an Italian meal - Cevapcici - from his region in Italy, and then sat together around the fire in our little house 😊


Many of the students are now stopping by for a chat which is lovely.  Some struggle with English and others are proficient and it is good for them all to practice.


Fab day 🎉







No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...