Monday, February 12, 2024

Hirtshals 🇩🇰

I backed up this morning with another workout at the gym.  Sore hammys today which confirms that I need to be doing this so I maintain fitness for when I'm back cycle touring - walking just isn't enough.


Then a snowy walk into Hirtshals to visit the Nordsoen Oceanarium which is the largest in Europe. 





A quality museum and experience centre and I spent a few hours exploring all the buildings, displays, giant fish tanks, fish feeding, backstage access to view the biggest tank (which holds 4.5Million litres of water!),





seal feeding




and an exhibit of whale skeletons and associated stories of whales that have beached themselves in Denmark.  



A fishing trawler that has been set up as a simulator and when you press the button it starts rolling as if in waves and the winds blow (very realistic).








I then walked to the main street for an afternoon pastry (they are so fresh, light and delicious) and then caught the train back - 8 kms of snowy walking.





Time to relax in front of the fire (thanks to Alex) for an hour or so before dinner and then tonight (midnight) I will go up to the school to watch the Superbowl with the teens.


A great weekend in the remote north of Denmark 😊❄️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...