Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Stonehenge 🇬🇧

Today was an outdoorsy kind of day with two dog walks and a 30km cycle to Stonehenge.


This morning's dog walk was crisp,.clear and beautiful with the morning light.  The dogs had fun in the long grass and I got to breathe in the fresh air.








When we got back I decided to take the mountain bike for a ride to Stonehenge (as you do 😂).  As it's a mountain bike, I plotted off road riding through allowable paths in farmers fields.  The ground is boggy and the lower areas flooded.  I saw squirrels running across the path 😊




I passed a group of teenage students out for a run in shorts and t-shirts 😳😳. Which was pretty hardcore as it was 2 degrees and blowing an icy gale across the Salisbury plains and it said ‘feels like - 1 😳


Stonehenge costs AUD$45 to go in and I have visited years ago and didn't feel the need to visit again.  I rode through farmers fields and got to the fence and took my photos on the ‘free’ side of the fence.  A security guard came over to say hi but must have realised I was harmless enough. 





I had my picnic in the paddock with sheep and Stonehenge views - committing to my picnic location even though my feet and fingers were freezing.  It all added to the atmosphere 😊


Then riding back a slightly different way till a flooded road diverted me through the town of Amesbury.  A lovely stone bridge



and a tiny museum which I took a gamble would be heated, and so locked the bike and went into the glorious warmth 😂. The museum showcases the notable people throughout history who have lived in Amesbury and a small collection of mediaeval finds that local farmers had uncovered.


Back home to the doggies and then late Arvo we went for our sunset walkies.








An outdoorsy day 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...