Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Salisbury 🇬🇧 day 4

We have started a real cold snap. It was -5 overnight and I was not in a hurry to get up this morning.  The doggies started barking around 5am and I think they were too cold downstairs in the kitchen.  They are allowed on the beds and so I let them upstairs and went back to sleep for a while.


We went for our morning dog walk closer to 10am and it was sunny and still but -3 degrees.  Very heavy frost with glistening crystals everywhere. 




We got to an animal trough  that the dogs drink from and today it was iced over.  I bashed at it with my boot and finally cracked and it would have been about 1.5-2cm.thick! 




Interestingly, very few dogs are wearing coats! 


We headed up the hill to "Figsbury circle" .  This neolithic hillfort has been around about 1000+yrs.  The 360 degree views are amazing and I decided to walk with the dogs the perimeter of each ring, wondering how they built these structures by hand.  It's a very popular dog walking spot and at one stage I counted 17 dogs being walked there!







On the way back home we passed a huge puddle that was frozen over.  The dogs were walking on it curious.  I decided to stomp and try and crack the surface.  It also was very thick ice.  I then made a rookie error and stepped just on the edge of the ice and down I went.  Didn't crack the ice but was cold wet and muddy 😂. Would have been funny to watch.





This afternoon I caught the bus into Salisbury


to buy some thermal socks and to visit the Fisherton Mill Gallery.  I had read about it and it's a repurposed flour mill with multiple local artists displaying and selling their wares on the ground floor and then upstairs a series of rooms where you can watch artists at work, plus a workshop room. 




I was interested in doing a workshop but out of my price range.  A relaxing arty vibe and a warm cafe too.  The street where it is located is full of eclectic antique stores, vintage clothing stores and beautiful gift shops.  I meandered into them admiring the work.



Then some grocery shopping before catching the bus with the school kids 😊.


There were still large sections of unmelted frost on this afternoon's walk and another -5 overnight prediction ❄️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...