Thursday, January 18, 2024

Salisbury 🇬🇧 day 5

 Another -5 overnight but warmed to 2 degrees during the day.  I took the dogs to Castle Hill Park for a walk this morning.  Overlooking the Old Sarem castle ruins and the light airstrip used during the World Wars by the military.






I caught the bus into Salisbury and my first stop was the Guildhall.  This building has a large square in front of it and houses the council chambers, the Mayor's office, some reception rooms and also the Crown Court and Jury room. 





Next stop, St Thomas church, originally founded in the 13th century and rebuilt in the 15th century.  It has wooden panelled and painted ceilings and some lovely stained glass windows and the floor has many gravestones. 






Then a wander along the many canals with Tudor houses to Salisbury Cathedral surrounds.  There are a couple of National Trust properties that are closed for winter but still lovely to view from the outside.  Then to the Rifles museum which houses the Regiment items used for Military parades -  but it is also closed till Feb. 




I was pretty cold and so went into the onsite warm cafe which was open, and ordered a 'Cream Tea'.  A pot of herbal fruit tea and a fabulous scone with clotted cream.  It's been a while since I had scones in the Cotswolds, but this scone may have taken first prize.  Freshly baked, sultanas, a good size and generous serving of jam and clotted cream.



The Salisbury Museum is undergoing some roof renovations to one wing but the Art Collection either by local artists or of local sights is small but interesting.  Then to the Archaeology section which had fascinating stories and artifacts dating back to BC and all discovered in Wiltshire.  Some only discovered in the last 5 years on farmers properties.




I took the dogs to a local field to throw the ball (Daisy's favourite pastime) and turned to discover the most incredible sunset.  I raced to the top of the paddock for a better view.  An interesting low cloud allowing only a stripe.of sunset tonight.  I watched it till it disappeared. 



I'm under a rug on the lounge with a dog either side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...