Friday, January 19, 2024

Avebury 🇬🇧

Another frosty night at -5 and took a long time to warm up.  It was still -3 when I took the dogs for a walk.  I revisited Figsbury circle as it has been a crisp clear sunny day and I knew the views would be amazing.  All the doggies were out with their owners enjoying the views from the top of the hill 😊








Then off I went to visit Avebury. I had read that it has the largest stone circle in the world - Aveburyhenge - 20 miles from Stonehenge.  This structure that is nearly a mile in circumference is said to date back 4600years and was most likely built for ceremonial use.  There is a 9m high mound and ditch surrounding the stones and a small village has been built in the middle.








The site is World heritage listed and what's super cool is that it's free to enter and you can walk around and next to the stones.  













The surrounding area has many other mediaeval structures and I went to Silbury hill which is a 30m high largest prehistoric mound in Europe.  I of course wanted to climb it and could see tracks but the area around the base was flooded and now ice! 




I also went past another chalk white horse on the side of a hill.  There are many other sights in the area that I didn't get to.



It's hard to believe the age of these structures and I wonder how they moved the stones, built the mounds etc.  fascinating.


A top day in the cool (feeling like a Michelin man wearing nearly all my clothes!) but sunny countryside.  Always a better day when it's not raining!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...