Monday, January 22, 2024

Salisbury 🇬🇧 Days 8&9

 A relaxing weekend not doing much really. 

Took the dogs for a walk up to Figsbury circle Saturday morning and had some nice 'walk and talks' with friendly locals. 






On the way back I noticed Daisy limping when she emerged from the bushes.  I had a look at her paw but couldn't see anything.  She was putting some weight on it and limping again.  At home, with my glasses on, I found a piece of fencing wire deep into her foot pad.  I gave it a gentle pull and out it came, then bathed it in some disinfectant.

We had a quiet day inside as she was limping.  I had some logistics to work out and transport to book.  I was on the couch, in front of a fire, with a sleeping dog either side 😊. Definitely a positive to housesitting as a solo traveller is the cuddles of lovely pets 🐱🐶




We had rain overnight and this morning I woke to 9 degrees but quite breezy! Positively scorching compared to the -5 every morning for the last week. 

We went for a shorter walk as Daisy started favouring her paw by 3kms. 






I had decided I would catch the bus into town for a Sunday roast.  I had read reviews and narrowed it down to two historic pubs.  I read the bus schedule and waited at the bus stop, getting slightly annoyed after 20 mins and no bus!  I read the schedule again and I had looked at Saturday and no busses on Sunday.  All dressed up with nowhere to go 😂.

So I turned back and walked into the village to the local pub instead. My experience at the Winterbourne Arms was fabulous.  The Patron greeted me warmly and she had only two tables without a booking and gave me one of those.  I've found Solo travellers are not always welcome at busy timeslots as seen to be taking a table that could have 2 or more guests.  From a business perspective I understand, but from a personal perspective its not nice to be turned away for being solo 🙄. Anyway, the pub was busy and the girls seemed to know most of the people, warm welcomes and chats about the weather.  The care and kindness they showed towards the more mature customer who would have struggled with coats and walking sticks and a roast dinner.  They helped out in a non demeaning way. One quite old man said I was a sorry sight eating at a pub alone 🙄. His wife clobbered him and off they went 😂.  So, apart from his dodgy comment, I had a lovely hour, just down the road and a huge delicious meal.  A light salad for me tonight 😂




Tonight's walk was very blustery and muddy and we just made it back as the rain started pouring down.


A quiet weekend with a tick on lots of little tasks that needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...