Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Marlborough and Avebury 🇬🇧

We had a huge storm yesterday with very strong winds and rain and it woke me at 5am still battering at the windows.  I nodded back and at 6.30am it had amazingly completely gone.  A nice sunrise walk with the dogs just after 8am.


Then off to meet Yvonne and Rosemarie, the two friends I made when housesitting in the northern Cotswolds in October.  We have kept in touch and today I drove an hour north and they drove 1.5hrs south to meet up. 


First stop to Marlborough a quaint market town with an unusually wide main street - High street with lots of little shops and cafes.  It's apparently the 2nd best shopping street in England!  We had fun going to the charity shops and trying on clothes and hats 😂.




A tea for the girls and a hot choc for me and then I took them to visit Avebury henge as they had never been. 
We wandered the large rock formation circle wondering how these rocks were transported 3 miles and then stood upright.  The weather rolled in and so we headed to the pub for lunch. 

I had scampi and chips and we looked down the town well, built in 1600 but now inside the pub since an extension to the pub in the 1800's 😂.




It is said to have the body of a villager who was caught cheating by her husband.  He killed both his wife and her lover and threw her down the well!  Lunch was lovely and the rain had dropped to a light shower and icy strong winds, so we were able.to  finish our sightseeing. 








So nice to spend time with this fun pair of girls and we are planning our next catch up in a few months when our calendars combine.

Great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...