Saturday, January 13, 2024

Fethiye 🇹🇷 - Antalya 🇹🇷 - London 🇬🇧 - Salisbury 🇬🇧


A big logistical travel day - planes, trains, automobiles, trams  and busses.

✅ Started with 1.5hr shift at the hotel from 7am

✅ left the hotel at 8.40am the manager drove me to the bus station in Fethiye

✅ Caught the 9.00 - 12.00 bus to Antalya bus station

✅ 1hr tram ride to the airport  (hopped off half way and grabbed a doner kebab for lunch)

✅ 3hrs early for check in as I got an email yesterday requesting it due to extra security (no electronic check-in)

✅ 4.5hr flight to London

✅ 30 min train to London Victoria train station 

✅ 2hr train to Salisbury, England and collected from the station by the housesit owners at 9 pm (midnight Turkey time)


Pretty relaxing but requires creativity to stifle boredom (lots of people watching and reflecting), other people chauffeuring me around and it worked like clockwork off one type of transport and onto the next 😂. The views from the plane window beautiful with fluffy clouds and snow capped mountain peaks peeking through, highlighted pink by the sunset 😊. Absolutely love flying and the birds eye view of the world 🌎  I had a sweet young family with an 18 month old next to me and we chatted most of the flight while.the son wriggled 😂  the dad works in aviation in cargo and so lots of nerdy common chat 😊


I was off the plane at Gatwick, London airport and  through electronic passport control, shuttle to the next terminal, walk to train station,  bought my train ticket and on a train in 46 mins total.  Gotta love hand luggage.


I've been asked by some of my friends if I felt safe and my experience in Antalya and Fethiye was warm and wonderful.  100% feeling of safety, kind friendly, helpful people.   Food is simple and delicious, weather was amazing for winter. Great public transport.  Interesting archaeological sights to see. The Turks care for the stray cats and I saw so many men, women and children stop to pat and feed them. I even saw a guy on a motorbike at the traffic lights and a cat wandered up and he reached down patting it and then helped it off the road when the lights changed 😊. 


So from my experience in 9 short days, in one small coastal part, Turkey 🇹🇷 is a yes and I'll be back if I can fit in a trip.   A cost effective, interesting and relaxing way to spend a spare week.


Have been chatting with my hosts, two gorgeous dogs, friendly kids and a beautiful guest house for me till they vacate the house.  11.30pm here in UK (2.30am Turkey time!). Night 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...