Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Cardiff 🐉

The last couple of days have seen me walking Echo in the rain.  She got particularly muddy one one walk and is not a fan of towel drying 😂



I had some admin and logistics to do yesterday and so a rainy day was perfect for that. 
In the evening I got brave and caught the bus to town and went to a pub with trivia in the hope I could join a team.  It worked out and it was Christmas themed. 


We came about middle.of the pack and I now have an invitation to stay in Devon/Cornwall area 😊🌲

Today after dog walking I caught two trains to Caerphilly Castle, the second largest in the UK.



I love this castle.  It's been built with concentric walls and a moat and was never taken by force. 





The Romans built a fort on the site in AD75 and the Castle itself built in 1268. It's sustained damage and been rebuilt a few times over the years.






It was vacant for 300 years and the moat drained which meant the earth dried up and one of the towers cracked and is on a lean (similar to the leaning tower of Pisa). 


The castle is well preserved and they just started construction 2 weeks ago on replacing the roof on the Great Hall as it was last re-roofed in 1871.  It's a 2year project.
It's quite a spectacularly designed castle and the spiral staircases in each of the tower amaze me to still be standing and usable. 






I do love a castle and this one is a beauty.
This is an Arial photo of the castle from the guidebook


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...