Friday, December 22, 2023

Cardiff Days 6-7 🐉

The last couple of days I've have had some great experiences. 

Yesterday I visited the Cardiff museum which I found really informative.  In 1800 the population was 2000 people and by 1911 had swelled to 180,000 as the coal exporting business put Cardiff on the map.  It's therefore, by UK standards, a relatively new city. 







Last night I had a ticket for the last seat to hear the Cathedral Choir at Llandaff Cathedral. 



The choir, mostly made up of students from the Cathedral school, is award winning and they sung like angels. The choir performed carols that were familiar to me as well as some that I did not know.  The audience participated in some of the songs. The evening was filmed by the BBC and will be telecast on Radio Wales and the BBC on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day mornings.  Such an uplifting evening 😊

Today I caught some public transport and walked the rest of the way to Castle Coch (25000 steps!).  So glad I made the effort to see this remarkable castle.  In the mid 1800’s, the wealthy Bute family decided to restore and build upon the ruins of the Norman castle in their preferred Mediaeval style. 





This castle became their summer weekend getaway when they were staying at Cardiff castle.  They would ride their horses from Cardiff every Sunday over summer.  The servants would have gone ahead to prepare the rooms and food.

Nicknamed The Red Castle, it is beautifully preserved and in a forest setting. 








The styling represents the love the Marquis had for his wife with the detail in the artwork with flowers and animals that represent love.  Her room is the largest with a stunning mirrored dome ceiling. 






The castle has been used in many films and TV series.





Loving Cardiff 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...