Saturday, December 16, 2023

Cardiff 🐉

This morning we took Echo for a walk for me to familiarise with the area.  Llandaff cathedral is beautiful and families were all pouring in for a children's Christmas concert.


Echo is a sweet dog who everyone seems to want to pat and she happily lets them.  Saw a guy in another fab Christmas jumper 😊


Then off to Cardiff by bus to visit the Castle. 




The Romans built the first fort on the site in 55AD (-400AD)and there are still some of those walls standing today. 

The Normans built some wooden fortifications (1091-1216). 





In 1766 the Bute family who were famous for turning the port into the greatest coal exporting port in the world and subsequently, the Marquis was the richest man in the world. 

The home built in the castle grounds is jaw droppingly surprising when entering.  The level of detail in the ceilings and walls and furniture is amazing.






The castle walls have a full set of corridors inside and these were used during the world wars for families as air raid shelters.  They play the sounds of bombs dropping etc as you walk through and it must have been so terrifying.




Then a wander to the Parliament building and then back down the Christmas market street.




  I'll go back when it is dark to see all the lights.

A trip to the grocery store for my weeks groceries and then a dark doggy walk (5pm) with her glowing collar.


Tomorrow I'm booked on a free walking tour (I avoided the advertised tour highlights when walking today).

I've met friendly people all day.  A great day in Wales 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...