Sunday, December 17, 2023

Cardiff Day 3 🐉

This morning I took Echo for a 5km walk on a circuit I made up from maps.  I'm staying near a river and a train line and so need to factor in bridges.  I ended up going through suburbs, parks and then a muddy forest section near the river which she loved, but ended up muddy 😂







While out and about I was able to FaceTime in to my dad's 86th birthday dinner and sing happy birthday with my family.  It's difficult being away at these times.  I've chosen this trip, but it's still hard as I love my family time ❤️

Onto the train to town to join a free Cardiff walking tour.  I love meeting other travellers from around the world, as well as learn about a city.



I learned so much about this capital city that really surged into a thriving city 200yrs ago due to the Marquis of Bute setting up a coal exporting business which also made him the richest man in the world.


The Cardiff Arms Park Stadium, home.of Welsh Rugby.  Also the scene, in 1905 of the first time the National anthem was sung at a sporting match in the world.  NZ performed the Haka and the Welsh players and crowd spontaneously sang the national anthem.  It was decided to make that a tradition for international matches from then on.



The city hall and museum buildings feature in Dr Who.


The city has a number of shopping arcades so people can shop the many small businesses without being rained on as Cardiff is the rainiest city in the UK. 




The central market is famed for the best Welsh cakes.  I queued for 20 mins and watched them being made.  I'd have to say they are delicious, especially when fresh and warm.






I've had a lazy afternoon and evening on the lounge with Echo.  I had thought I might go and see the Christmas markets but stayed inside instead 😊


I really like the 'vibe' of Cardiff.  Friendly and down to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...